When it’s about buying a winch, I prioritize some of the core factors like their performance, price, weight capacity, durability, and use.
I bet you do the same too.
However, at the same time, it’s a tough task to make any conclusive decision if you have so many brands to choose from.
To clear out all the confusion, I’ve prepared this Keeper winch review guide.
Here I’m going to review 5 different Keeper winches based on the above-mentioned points.
Not to mention, I will leave no stone unturned to find out their upsides and downsides.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s get busy.
About Keeper as a Brand
Keeper has been doing business for more than 36 years now. They have been manufacturing different cargo control products like truck and trailer accessories, tie-downs, bungee, electric winches, towing security products, etc.
Our main concern here is their winch. They make winches of various weight capacity to recover different vehicles like truck, Jeep, UTV/ATV, tractor and some other utilities.
What about quality and price? As per my findings, they offer a good price maintaining top quality. So, you can rely on them.
1. Keeper KW17122-1 17500 lbs Winch Review
- Inexpensive than its competitors having the same weight capacity.
- It comes with a well functioning wireless remote control (works well up to 100’) and a handheld wired (15’) remote control.
- The handheld remote has a built-in LED light that comes handy at times.
- I found the galvanized wire rope (92’) substantially long and I’ve no objection to the quality.
- This winch offers convenient and easy to use lift and turn free spooling clutch.
- The integrated sealed solenoid lets you connect the handheld remote with ease.
- The automatic full load holding brake increases the security and the three-stage planetary gear helps to control the winching better.
- All the necessary mounting bolts come with the package.
- Heavy winch. I don’t consider this as a major issue though considering the weight it is capable of pulling.
- Not too fast. However, not too slow either.
This one is a robust and industrial grade performer upon which you can rely on for the heavy-duty jobs. To me, it offers an unbeatable price for pulling up to 17500 lbs. This one is of the best options for your truck I must say.
Some More Findings
While this Keeper KW 17.5 winch is capable of pulling up to 17500 lbs. To get the best performance I recommend you use it for pulling something that weighs up to 11666 lbs.
The winch industry believes your winch has to have 1.5 times more weight capacity than the loaded weight of your vehicle. That’s why I told you to keep the loaded weight of the trailer up to 11666 lbs.
*Loaded weight = the weight of your trailer/vehicle + the weight of the belongings that are inside the trailer when you tow it.
The steel cable that goes through a high-quality roller fairlead is built to withstand heavy-duty job, no doubt.
While a steel cable can handle the heavy-duty jobs better than it’s synthetic rope counterpart, it can cause a severe injury if it breaks under load.
That’s why I suggest you use any dampener to eliminate the risk.
2. Keeper KW13122-1 13500 lbs Winch Review
- This winch offers a high-quality, strong 92’ galvanized steel cable going through a heavy-duty roller
- The steel cable doesn’t bunch up in one spot during the operation.
- It comes with both a wireless remote and a handheld wired (15’) switch. Both of these winch controllers works flawlessly.
- The lift and turn free spooling clutch is super easy to use and works without any issue.
- Three-stage planetary gear and the automatic load-holding breaks come in handy to ensure security and smooth controlling.
- Affordable price. In fact, it offers a better price than its competitors.
- It comes with the required mounting bolts.
- Mounting plate not included with the kit.
Keeper KW 13.5 is the perfect winch if you are a professional user. If you are looking for a winch that is capable of pulling your truck or big tractor, this one is the best bet.
Some More Findings
This winch has a weight capacity of 13500 lbs, meaning you can pull the vehicle if it weighs up to 13500 lbs. However, to get the best result use this winch to pull your vehicle keeping it’s loaded weight up to 9000 lbs.
This particular winch comes with the same handheld wired remote control with LED light.
The wireless remote control works from up to 100’ distance and it works well.
Like the previous model, this one is equipped with an integrated solenoid that allows you to connect the handheld switch easily.
3. Keeper KW75122RM-1 7500 lbs Winch Review
- Not too heavy.
- This very Keeper winch is portable.
- 2-inches receiver bar and mounting plate are included with this winch. Hence you can easily install it to any class III 2-inch receiver hitch.
- It comes with everything you need for installing.
- This winch is equipped with quick-connect battery leads. That helps to power up the winch fast and with ease.
- Comes with a heavy-duty 72’ galvanized steel cable going through a quality 4-way roller fairlead.
- Wireless remote control and a wired (15’) handheld remote with LED light both come with the kit. They work without any glitch.
- The battery cable could have been a bit longer.
If you are looking for an efficient and portable winch then Keeper 7.5 winch will meet your requirement most. This won’t break your bank as well.
Some More Findings
Keeper KW 7.5 winch is capable of pulling up to 7500 lbs. To get the best performance, the recommended max weight limit for your vehicle or trail is 5000 lbs.
This winch makes it easy to operate it with full control due to its automatic load-holding brake, three-stage planetary gear and lift and turn free spooling clutch.
The length of the battery cable is ok. But if you mount to the rear hitch and your battery is under the hood, then perhaps you will want to have a longer cable.
4. Keeper KU3.5S 3500 lbs Winch Review
- Compact and lightweight.
- A powerful and durable winch.
- It comes with everything you need it to install including a heavy-duty mounting plate.
- A cam activated free spool clutch, three-stage planetary gear makes it easy to control the winching.
- The automatic full load holding brake ensures your security.
- A high quality 60’ synthetic rope goes through a hawse fairlead makes this winch even lighter and danger free.
- It offers integrated sealed solenoid switching where you can plug the wired (15’) handheld remote easily.
- Good value for the money.
- It doesn’t come with the wireless remote control. But you can buy it separately. This remote works with all KU series and KW series winches.
If you are looking for a lightweight and easy to use winch for your car trailer, utility trailer, and recovering your vehicle like UTV/ATV then this Keeper KU 3.5S winch is something you can go for.
Some More Findings
Keeper KU 3.5S is capable of pulling up to 3500 lbs of weight, better if you can restrict the loaded weight of the vehicle to 2333 lbs.
Though a synthetic rope requires maintenance, I still prefer a synthetic rope version to a steel cable.
While this one is a synthetic rope version of the KU 3500 lbs capacity you also have the option to buy the steel cable version of this same winch. It offers a 60’ galvanized steel cable going through a roller fairlead.
5. Keeper KAC1500 1500 lbs Winch Review
- It comes with everything including a mounting plate, an easy to replace motor brushes.
- This is a portable winch.
- It offers 42’ heavy-duty galvanized steel cable going through a roller fairlead.
- A handheld wired (12’) remote that works flawlessly. It has an emergency shut off button too.
- Three-stage planetary gear gives you the proper control and automatic full load holding gear ensures the security.
- The price could have been better.
Keeper KAC 1500 winch is a handy solution for your garage, shop or workshop. A nice little AC powered winch offering good portability.
Some More Findings
This little winch is capable of towing anything that weighs up to 1500 lbs.
This one is a 120 V AC winch having 3 prong plug connected with an 8′ lead.
As I said you can easily replace/ change the motor brushes. All you need to do is unplug the winch from the power source. Then unscrew the brush cap and remove the old brush. Easy.
In a nutshell, all these Keeper winches excel in quality without breaking your bank.
I don’t find any reason spending a lot of money on the same performance and quality that I can get by spending less.
In this Keeper winch reviews article, I tried to explain how the different winches perform. If they are expensive or not.
I’m sure you won’t regret spending your bucks on this brand.
If you want to know anything more, please don’t hesitate to use the comment box below to get in touch.
You May Also Like To Read: