There are tons of winch brands in the market. And each brand has a lot of products. All in all, there must be hundreds of winch products available to you. This much choice makes it harder for consumers to choose, instead of making it easier.
Because there are a lot of products that consumers such as yourself do not know whether are of high quality or not, you are left confused. To help you get a more informed decision, I will review one of the less known brands that produces good winches.
Tuff Stuff is not one of the most well-known brands. It is also not the most expensive. This is why I think it a good idea for you to learn just how good their winches are. If any of these Tuff Stuff winches is what you need, then you can save yourself some currency.
Also Read: Best offroad-winch for the money
Tuff Stuff Winch Review
Features & Key Technical Data
First of all, the overall outlook and the quality of the materials of this winch seem high-quality to me.
This is a powerful winch capable of recovering anything below 13000lb.
But hang on a minute!
You want the best possible performance from the winch right?
To achieve that, I suggest you use this winch to recover your vehicle if it is loaded weight is equal or below 8666lb.
Because your winch should have at least 1.5 times more capacity than the loaded weight of your vehicle.
*Loaded weight = the weight of your vehicle + the weight of the baggage or anything you are carrying on the vehicle during the recovery process.
The remote control works flawlessly. But I believe the size of the button should have been a bit bigger to grip and operate it smoothly.
Not to mention, the steel cable is super strong and goes through the 4-way roller fairlead smoothly.
But remember: always use a damper blanket to minimize the chance of severe injuries caused by the rope breaking under load and re-coiling.
Altogether, I think this is a nice sturdy and powerful winch to recover your truck during your enchanting off-roading adventure.
In case you want the synthetic rope version of this very winch, here is the link.
To make your winching process safer and easier, you’ll need some winch accessories. Check my recommended top winch accessories list to know about these accessories.
- Easy wiring and installing.
- Powerful and sturdy.
- You can operate both the wired and the wireless connection of the remote from the same device.
- Waterproof winch. So, no need to worry about the elements (muds, water) entering the winch and damaging it.
- 3 stage planetary gear and free spooling clutch help you to control the winching properly.
- Automatic drum brakes are something I always look for from any winch for safety. This winch has an automatic drum brake.
- Heavy-duty 85’ steel cable performs flawlessly.
- I didn’t find the cable tangled during the recovery process.
- Integrated solenoid (covered by a waterproof box).
- The mounting plate is not included with the package.
- A receiver cradle with this package would have been a great addition.
- Make a bit of noise during the operation.
- The button size of the remote control could have been a bit bigger.
Features & Key Technical Data
This time the wired and wireless remote control comes separately. I didn’t find anyone complaining about the performance of these remote controls.
However, the wireless remote works well within the 75’ radius.
This particular Tuff Stuff Xtreme 12500lb winch is well capable of pulling over anything weighing less than 12500lb.
Having said that, you probably don’t want the rope breaking under load right?
If so, then I recommend you to use this winch to recover your vehicle that is weighing equal or less than 8333lb.
Why is this so?
Because to get the best performance, your winch should be at least 1.5 times more capable than the gross weight of your vehicle.
*Gross weight = the weight of the vehicle + the weight of any belongings you are carrying on the vehicle during the towing process.
This model uses a 6.65 horsepower, 5 kilowatt, series wound motor. It has a power in and out features. With the winch comes a snatchblock, a pair of gloves and some hardware as well as a cover.
The design is also unique in that the height of the drum support is increased. This simple difference decreases potential damage to the winch body should the cable spool unevenly. The design of the winch is based on military standards. You can be sure that it can perform like the tough winch that it is.
Overall, a handy winch that comes with everything you need to use it properly. It doesn’t cost you a fortune either. This winch in particular is very formidable, despite being very easy to install. The performance is superb, and it can last for quite a long time.*Update: An upgraded version of this Tuff Stuff Xtreme 12500lb has been released with 88′ synthetic rope. If you prefer synthetic rope to steel cable you can check this link.
- Easy to install.
- Waterproof winch.
- Gloves and waterproof cover are included with the kit.
- Both wired and wireless remote control is included with the package.
- Worth the price.
- 3 stage planetary gear and sliding ring gear clutch will keep the towing process under control without making your life hard.
- Automatic in-the-drum braking provides the safety you expect during the recovery process.
- Integrated (side mounted) waterproof solenoid.
- High quality 88′ steel cable works perfectly without any tangling during the process.
- Not coming with a receiver cradle is always a downside for me. This winch doesn’t come with a receiver cradle. You can buy it separately though.
- A tad noisy.
Features & Key Technical Data
Tuff Stuff Xtreme 4500lb is a handy lightweight winch for recovering your UTV/ATV.
Remember, as per the golden rule you should use this winch to recover your UTV if the loaded weight of the UTV/ATV is anything less than or equal 3000lb.
Because your winch should have 1.5 times more weight capacity than the loaded weight of the UTV/ATV.
This ensures the best performance from the winch.
Controlling the towing is a cakewalk with the help of the free spooling clutch and a built-in braking system.
I always prefer a synthetic rope to a steel cable. Because I get almost the same performance in terms of strength.
On top of that, I don’t have to worry about severe injuries if the rope breaks under load. Moreover, a synthetic rope reduces the overall weight of the winch.
What surprises me the most about this winch is how great its waterproofness is. It can be submerged in water and mud and yet it will not give in. Of course it is not advisable to do that on purpose. But it is good to know that should you get stuck in wet or muddy situations, the winch will not fail you.
Anyhow, all in all, this is a good winch and the price of this winch is competitive as well.
- Easy wiring and installing process.
- A lightweight winch, easy to carry.
- Comes with both wired and wireless remote control, and a hard mounted toggle switch. Hard mounted toggle remote helps you to operate from inside the UTV.
- 50′ high-quality synthetic rope going through an aluminum fairlead gives enough strength for the towing process.
- A non-integrated waterproof solenoid is included with the package. So you have the option of relocating the solenoid if required.
- Comes with a universal mounting plate.
- The button of the wired remote control could have been a bit bigger.
Who Makes Tuff Stuff Winch?
Tuff Stuff winches are made by the “Tuff Stuff 4×4” company. I found out that this company offers good quality winches at an affordable price range.
Of course, manufacturing winches is not their only business.
They manufacture some other essential products related to off-roading as well like winch accessories, rooftop tents, camping gear, air compressors, bumpers, etc.
They have earned a good reputation with their quality products and satisfactory customer support. I think it is only right that they have earned such a good reputation. High quality products, excellent customer service, and very cost effective prices all combined can’t be but very attractive to consumers.
To sum up I must say Tuff Stuff winches are not staying behind their competitors. I actually think that they are legitimate contenders. As far as I know, the more famous brands are at the top because they have been in the game the longest.
But such brands like Tuff Stuff, brands that produce exceptionally well-priced products will gain popularity more and more.
It is worth telling that you need to consider the winch capacity, the gear system, braking system, type and performance of the rope, remote control, etc before buying a winch from any brand.
I pointed out all these factors against each winch that I reviewed here in this Tuff Stuff winch review article.
Now it’s your turn. I’d love to know what decision you have made after reading my review.
You May Like To Read: