When its about choosing the best truck winch, first and foremost, don’t choose anything less than 8000 lbs weight capacity.
In fact, for heavy-duty jobs, it’s better to start from 10000 lbs, and for medium-duty tasks, you can start from 8000 lbs weight capacity.
With that said, not all the winches are reasonable, and if you are meticulous like me, then you should not believe all those marketing hypes blindly.
To give you a clear picture of some of the quality truck winches, I’ve prepared this best truck winch reviews article. Here I’m going to review 10 top-notch truck winches of different weight capacities.
So, let’s get our butts off.
At a Glance
10 Best Truck Winches Review
1. Smittybilt 17500 lbs Truck Winch
- It’s a new Gen2 series of XRC that offers better performance.
- This winch features a relocatable control pack (with three mounting options).
- IP67 rated. Meaning, the unit is waterproof.
- A large enough free spooling clutch lever lets you operate it comfortably wearing gloves.
- The hook quality is up to scratch.
- Straightforward installation and operation process.
- A relatively big and well functioning wired (12’) remote control comes with the kit.
- The 94’ heavy-duty steel cable performs up to the mark; you won’t see any tangling.
- This winch is reasonably priced considering the application, quality, and performance.
- I anticipated a wireless remote control and a winch cover with the kit at this price point.
Smittybilt 97417 XRC GEN2 is the best truck winch as per my findings if buying a quality product at a fair price is something you are looking for.
As it’s a 17500 lbs winch, so you will want to limit the gross weight of the truck up to 11666 lbs. It will provide you the best performance and ensure the longevity of the winch.
Overall, Smittybilt 97417 is an affordable power in and power out winch for regular use. It features other standard functionalities like 4-stage planetary gear and automatic load-holding brake for the smooth and secure winching experience.
2. Warn 12,000 lbs Truck Winch
- The advanced rechargeable wireless remote control is the best part here. It’s big, so it easily fits in hand. The quality of the remote is superb too.
- It’s IP68 rated. That means it’s designed to withstand water, sand, dust, or other outside materials.
- You won’t find it challenging to install the unit.
- It doesn’t weigh too much considering the weight capacity.
- A high-quality Spydura Pro synthetic rope (80’) goes through a quality hawse fairlead to ensure a smooth towing.
- A pricey winch, I should say. With that said, Warn excels in quality, no doubt. So if budget is not an issue for you, then it’s worth buying.
Warn Zeon 12-S Platinum is a top-shelf winch for towing your truck by all means. However, the price is not perfect for someone who is looking for a budget winch.
Since it’s a 12000 lbs winch, it will be wise to restrict the gross weight of your truck up to 8000 lbs.
As I said, the wireless remote control is one of the coolest parts here. It features a USB charging cable and a car charger adapter, and it also can read the motor temperature.
So, if the remote runs out of battery, you can effortlessly plug it in either USB source or truck’s charger adapter.
It’s quite a handy option for frequent use.
3. X-Bull 13000 lbs Truck Winch
- It’s easy to hook up and use.
- It’s IP67 rated. Meaning it’s waterproof.
- The new generation wireless remote control works as expected.
- The wired remote control is designed for offering a good grip and control over the remote operation.
- A weather-sealed, and relocatable solenoid-box gives you the liberty of placing it at a convenient spot.
- An overload protector is installed into the system to protect the unit in case of a short circuit or overload.
- You are getting a winch cover with the kit.
- The 85’ synthetic rope proves to be substantially long and lightweight but strong enough to serve the purpose.
- Although it’s waterproof, it’s not a great winch to work underwater. However, a water splash won’t damage it.
It’s a tad loud for my likings.
- X-Bull should concentrate on improving the user manual.
This orange-colored X-Bull winch is a suitable option for towing your truck as the weight capacity of this unit is 13000 lbs.
Nonetheless, better keep the gross weight of the truck up to 8666 lbs to follow the rule of thumb (your winch needs to have 1.5 times more weight capacity than the total weight of the vehicle).
As a whole, if you are on a budget but still require a satisfactory winch, you can go for this one.
However, if money is not an issue for you, then I’d rather suggest you go for other options like Smittybilt or Warn.
4. Zesuper 13000 lbs Truck Winch
- It’s a quite cost-effective and powerful winch.
- The unit is IP67 rated. Meaning it’s another waterproof winch on my list.
- It’s a breeze to install and use.
- It features both a wireless and wired remote control. Both of these remotes work well and easy to grip.
- A 78’ lightweight synthetic rope works great without bunching up, and it floats in water and works below -20 degrees centigrade.
- A weather-sealed control box comes with the kit.
- It’s a tad louder than usual.
- The free spooling clutch lever lacks smoothness occasionally.
- The manual doesn’t have a wiring diagram included. Nonetheless, wiring is super easy due to the color-coded wires.
Not sure if you heard of this brand or not, but trust me, this particular winch from Zesuper is a perfect alternative to any big brand out there. If you are not lean towards big names and looking for a quality yet inexpensive winch, this is one of the best bets for you.
Like any other 13000 lbs weight capacity winch, you should limit the total weight of your truck up to 8666 lbs when towing using this winch.
Remember, this unit responses one or two seconds later once you press the wireless remote button. I don’t consider this a drawback. Instead, it’s for increased safety.
5. X-Bull 12000 lbs Truck Winch
- It’s an IP67 rated waterproof unit.
- It comes with two flawlessly working wireless remote controls and wired remote control.
- A weather-sealed control box keeps the solenoid from outside materials.
- The solenoid is protected by a circuit breaker for better safety.
- It’s quite straightforward to set up and operate.
- A heavy-duty 85’ steel cable comes with the unit that goes through a 4-way roller fairlead.
- This unit has a power-in power-out motor too.
- This winch is not too loud.
- It’s reasonably priced.
- Sometimes the cable tangles.
X-Bull 12000 lbs electric winch offers all the standard features like a free spooling clutch, 3-stage planetary gear train, and automatic load-holding brake. It’s quite capable of recovering your truck that weighs up to 12000 lbs, better if you can restrict the weight to 8000 lbs.
The wireless remote supports operation from an ample distance ( from about 80-85’).
Altogether, this very winch from X-Bull is quality and powerful solution for every truck owner that features every single thing required for smooth winching.
If you seldom use a winch, then this one is the best bet for you. Yes, it’s suitable for regular use too, but you have some better options on my list for daily use.
6. Orcish 13000 lbs Truck Winch
- You are getting two remote controls along with a robust wired (12’) remote control with the kit, including a pair of gloves too.
- It’s another IP67 rated waterproof unit.
- A weather-sealed control box with a circuit breaker increases safety, no doubt.
- It offers a simple installation process.
- The heavy-duty 85’ steel cable that goes through a 4-way roller fairlead goes in and out smoothly.
- It’s cost-effective.
- The battery life of the remote could have been longer. That’s why I suggest you carry some extra batteries.
- You might find the speed somewhat slow.
Orcish 13000 lbs winch is a robust winch and one of the best truck winches for the buck on my list.
Like the other 13000 lbs truck winches, this particular winch is also a handy unit for towing up to 8666 lbs effortlessly.
It won’t mind if you keep the vehicle weight up to 13000 lbs, but as per the rule of thumb, that’s not a good practice.
Yes, it also features an easy to use free spooling clutch, 3-stage planetary gear, and an automatic load-holding brake.
If you want a balanced solution regarding quality and price, you won’t regret buying this winch.
7. Smittybilt 10,000 lbs Truck Winch
- It’s an excellently built and well-finished (matte black textured) winch.
- It spools convincingly fast.
- An inductive braking system is there to prevent overheating.
- The control box offers multiple mounting options.
- This one is an IP68 rated winch. So, you are getting ample protection from water contact.
- You are getting both wireless and wired (12’) controlling options from the same remote control.
- The installation is pretty straightforward, and the instruction is comprehensive too.
- The forged hook excels in quality.
- A remote plug cover protects the remote plug.
- The high-quality synthetic rope is substantially long (98.5) and strong for towing a vehicle like a truck.
- It’s moderately priced.
- No significant drawback.
To me, this winch is the best alternative to an expensive brand like Warn. I like the appearance and build quality of the Smittybilt X2O series more than any other Smittybilt series.
As it’s 10000 lbs weight capacity winch, so better keep the gross weight of your truck up to 6666 lbs to ensure optimum performance and longevity.
The flawless performance of the remote control is worth mentioning.
Overall, this one is a beauty and the beast for you at an affordable price.
8. Superwinch 9500 lbs Truck Winch
- It’s comprised of a weather-sealed motor and a solenoid box.
- The ergonomic style free spooling clutch makes it easy to handle and operate.
- It’s easy to install and operate.
- A lightweight but durable 80’ synthetic rope goes through a hawse fairlead smoothly.
- The automatic load-holding brake is located away from the drum’s center. This keeps the synthetic rope from heat.
- A well functioning 12’ wired rubber-sealed handheld remote is included in the kit.
- This winch runs quietly.
- The price could have been better.
- No wireless remote control comes with the package. It should’ve been included at this price.
I’m not a big fan of this winch considering the price. Still, I think it’s worth putting this unit on my list because of the overall performance.
This winch from Superwinch Tiger Shark series is capable of winching your truck effortlessly if you keep the gross weight up to 9500 lbs. Therefore, to get the best performance, you should restrict the weight to 6333 lbs.
You can buy the steel cable version of Tiger Shark 9500 from here.
9. Rough Country 9500 lbs TruckWinch
- It’s an attractively built winch having solid construction.
- A series-wound motor is in-place that prevents overheating and works efficiently at high speed.
- The weather-sealed solenoid is replaceable.
- This Rough Country winch is IP67 rated. Meaning it’s water and dustproof.
- An easy to hold and operate corded (12’) remote control works without causing any trouble.
- Painless to install and use.
- A heavy-duty 94’ steel cable goes through a 4-way roller fairlead steadily.
- It’s super inexpensive considering the weight capacity and quality.
- No wireless remote control comes with the package.
All the Rough Country winches are amazingly inexpensive, considering the performance they provide.
This very winch has 9500 lbs weight capacity, so you should restrict the weight of your vehicle up to 6333 lbs. That means this one is a good option for a medium-duty job but not for too heavy-duty tasks.
Like all the other winches I reviewed here, this winch also offers some handy features like an easy to use free spooling clutch, 3-stage planetary gear, and auto in-drum brake system.
You can buy the synthetic rope version of this same winch here.
10. Warn 8000 lbs Truck Winch
- It features a relocatable control pack.
- It’s quite uncomplicated to install and operate.
- This one is a lightweight, compact winch having a low profile design. As a result, it fits quite comfortably.
- This Warn winch is also comprised of a series wound motor for fast speed and less overheating.
- A cast-iron brace plate holds the control pack firmly to increase the rigidity of the whole unit.
- The hook quality is good too.
- This winch features hawse fairlead with a steel cable. I always prefer a roller fairlead with a steel line.
- It’s a bit pricey. With that said, it’s quite common for Warn winches.
When it’s about quality, Warn is the best bet for you. This winch also shines in quality.
However, this one is an 8000 lbs weight capacity winch. So, you have to keep your truck’s gross weight under or equal to 5333 lbs. That means it’s a good winch for the medium-duty recovery process.
Yes, it comes with a technically error-free wired remote control, but I expected better quality and technologically advanced solutions here. Perhaps a remote that has both wireless and wired feature like the one that comes with the Smittybilt X2O series.
You have the liberty to buy the synthetic rope version for this model as well.
So, this is it.
I’m going to end this review article on 10 best truck winches. As you saw, I mentioned all the upsides and downsides of each of the winch distinctly.
If money is not an issue for you, then you should go for Warn winches.
Otherwise, you can go for other options like Smittybilt or X-Bull or whatever brand or model you prefer from the list.
It surely depends on your requirements.