As you are finding the best chainsaw winch and landed on this page, I’m sure you know about the benefits of a chainsaw winch.
So, I’m not going to discuss that here.
Instead, I am going to review 2 quality chainsaw winches mentioning their upsides and downsides.
I believe this will help you to decide the best bang for your bucks.
Let’s get busy.
Best Chainsaw Winch Comparison
|Lewis 400 MK2||
||Check Price on Amazon|
||Check Price on Amazon|
Best Chainsaw Winches Reviewed
1. Lewis Chainsaw Winch (400 MK2) Review
- Easy to use.
- Made from high-quality durable cast-aluminum alloy.
- Easy to assemble.
- It comes with the necessary hardware including brake handle, universal mounting kit, direct mounting kit, the aircraft cable.
- Super portable. You can take it with you anytime, anywhere you want.
- Lewis chainsaw is designed to mount on any chainsaw.
- I must say, this winch offers incredible pulling power.
- This chainsaw is not going to drain your battery like an electric winch would.
- A multipurpose winch and you can anchor this winch to multiple places(More on this later).
- It comes with a heavy-duty 150’ galvanized steel cable and a safety hook.
- A perfect winch for frequent use and heavy-duty jobs.
- Easy to understand instruction manual.
- The price could have been better.
This Lewis chainsaw is capable of pulling 4000 lbs (if you use a larger saw like 5 cubic inch/85cc ) in a straight line and up to 8000 lbs using a winch snatch block.
The company recommends us to use minimum a 3 cubic inch /50cc saw or stronger to get the best result. Being said that a 3 cubic inch/50cc saw is perfect for pulling only 2000 to 2500 lbs or up to 5000 lbs.
That’s why I recommend you use at least a 5 cubic inch/85cc chainsaw to get better support from the winch.
You don’t have to use any batteries like an electric winch. A gas driven chainsaw will run the winch with ease. So as long as you have gas in your saw the winch will run smoothly.
Mounting this winch with any chainsaw is a cakewalk using a universal adapter system. Simply remove your cutting bar and attach the winch. You are good to go.
As I said, this very Lewis chainsaw is a multipurpose tool. You can use it for recovering your SUV, car, plow trucks. Also for pulling logs, game animals from remote locations, etc.
You can anchor this winch to the ground with a ground anchor, to a tree stump or your vehicle/trailer using a trailer hitch mount.
This one is not too heavy winch either. With the steel cable, it weighs around 35 lbs.
While this winch comes with 150’ steel cable, you have the option to use any shorter cable if you think 150’ is pretty big for you.
Overall, this is a good portable chainsaw powered winch that won’t disappoint you with its versatile use. I believe the price could have been better, however, it is not too high either.
2. Powerhouse XM-100 Lewis Chainsaw Winch Review
So, I don’t have too many words to say about this particular winch.
Let’s talk about some of the differences between this winch and the 400 MK2 winch.
This chainsaw winch is equipped with a plastic handle and a plastic turn knob for the locking mechanism.
Whereas the 400 MK2 winch offers a heavy metal handle and locking mechanism.
No doubt, you want to have the stronger option for this kind of tool that you use in tough situations. In this case, the previous model (400 MK2) is ahead of this model(XM-100.
On a positive note, XM-100 won’t cost you an arm and a leg to buy this winch. This one costs almost half as much as the 400 MK2 costs.
XM-100 is a good option for seldom use or you can say for small to medium-duty jobs. But the 400 MK2 withstands for frequent and heavy-duty jobs.
A Guide on Chainsaw
I think I should guide you in short about some of the chainsaws that go well with these two winches.
Here you go.
You can go for either an electric chainsaw or gas-powered chainsaw. Keep in mind, you should use an electric chainsaw only for lighter jobs. Otherwise, go for a gas-powered chainsaw. It will give you the best performance.
Let me recommend you the amount of power you need from the chainsaw against the weight you want to pull.
From 2000 – 2500 lbs – 3HP chainsaw
From 3000 – 3500 lbs – 5HP to 6HP chainsaw
4000 lbs – 7HP chainsaw.
* All these are for pulling in a straight line. You can always double the weight capacity using a snatch block.
You will find very few chainsaw winches available on the market. I reviewed the top two from them.
If you want me to vote the very best chainsaw winch, I will go for the Lewis 400 MK2.
Now, it’s up to you.
You can also read our reviews of electric & hydraulic winches: